this semester, all of my students (12 students in digital media production; 17 in eating san francisco) are using twitter.
i require them to do two things on twitter. first, for each of them to follow everyone else in the class. second, once they have completed a class project (a video, a blog post, a flickr set), they must tweet about it and include a link to it. other than that, they are free to use twitter, or not use twitter, in any way they choose.
over the semester, my students have come up with some really creative and collaborative uses of twitter. i'm impressed.
here's 5 ways my students use twitter
1. to announce and link to a blog post about one's role and contributions to the campus newspaper.
2. to set up - and say thanks for - interviews with people for class projects.
3. to negotiate dinner reservation times for class field trip.
4. to announce and publicize events taking place on campus.
5. to share readings and resources relevant to last night's class discussion.
(my students also, from time to time, use twitter in completely inane ways; maybe one day i'll blahg about that.)