now that the front yard squashazoid is going crazy, i'm searching for new squash-centric recipes. here's my favorite so far.
summer squash sauté
2 lbs summer squash and/or zucchini, cut into coins or slices
1 tsp salt plus more
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
fresh herbs, including marjoram, parsley, and tarragon (optional)
1. place squash in a colander over a large bowl and add 1 tsp salt. mix gently. let stand for 10 minutes.
2. toast almonds in a large dry skillet over medium heat, teasing occasionally, until they are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. transfer to a plate and let cool.
3. heat oil in skillet. add garlic and red pepper flakes. cook, stirring often, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.
4. add squash and cook, tossing occasionally, until crisp and tender, about 5 minutes.
5. fold in parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
6. fold in almonds.
7. top off with fresh herbs (optional)
serve immediately. consider serving over fresh garlic bread or a baquette!